Introduction to sake: workshop and tasting
Limited to 10 people per tasting. If you have a group of 6-10 people, why not arrange your own date?
WHEN: 19:00 – around 22:00
Your choice of Thursday evening: 25 July / 26 September / 28 November 2019
WHERE: MAME 2 Holbeinstrasse, 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Seefeld area, short walk from Stadelhofen station or stops Opernhaus/Kreuzstrasse on tram lines 2 and 4.
PRICE: CHF 50.00
Want to explore sake but don’t know where to start?
In this workshop, you’ll learn about the different classes and styles so you can select sake with confidence, either to drink by itself or to pair with food.
You’ll also try the classes and styles in two tasting sessions – the perfect chance to cement what you’ve just learned through experience and maybe find a new favourite!
- Find out what sake is – and what it is not
- Learn how raw materials, brewing, processing and ageing affect flavour profile and price
- Sample a range of sake selected to give an overview of the different classes and types
- Have fun in a small, friendly group guided by an expert
- Leave with an understanding of how to select, store, pair and serve sake!
The workshop will cover:
- The legal classes of sake and what they can tell you about aroma and flavour
- Tasting with four examples of the legal classes
- Identifying aromas and flavours and writing tasting notes
- How processing and ageing create a range of styles
- Tasting with four different styles
- Storing and serving sake, including what to serve it in and at what temperature
- How to pair sake with food – including which sake goes with chocolate!
- Choosing the best places to buy or order sake
- Plus ask any questions you have in a relaxed small group setting
- Take home a list of the sake you tried
- List of where to drink sake in Zürich and where to buy locally and online
- Free Pocket Guide with class and style names in Japanese and English for future reference
- Hints, tips and challenges to keep on exploring the wonderful world of sake!
- Eat something before the tasting. You’ll be served approximately 30 ml x 8 samples of sake with an average alcohol content of 14-16%. (You’re welcome to taste and spit as well, but so far no-one has!)
- On the day of the tasting, avoid any strong smells such as perfume, cologne or strongly scented hair/body products as they may affect your sense of smell. (Or affect the sense of smell of those around you.)
- Also avoid strong tastes such as tobacco, coffee or spices just before the tasting as they may affect your ability to taste.
- Other than that, just bring yourself and any questions you have about sake!
- Participants must be at least 18 years old.
- The tasting lasts approximately 2.5 to 3 hours
- The minimum number of participants is four, and the maximum is ten. If there are less than four people, the session will be postponed. If there are more than ten people, a waiting list will be opened and a new session held as soon as possible.
- The CHF 50.00 fee can be paid in advance online by card or TWINT (see buttons below), or in cash or by TWINT at the start of the workshop.
- Reservation and/or advance payment is essential as I need to prepare enough sake and materials for everyone.
- Cancellations can only be accepted up to 24 hours before the workshop so your place can be released for someone else. Otherwise you will be liable for the CHF 50.00 fee as I will not be able to fill the place.
- If you can’t make it at short notice, you can assign your place to someone else – please contact me!
- Refunds are not possible for no-shows as the venue, materials, etc. have all been provided.
- If you have a group of four to ten people who want to take this workshop, please contact me to arrange a private event.
I’m always happy to answer questions, if you have any please email me at email@example.com!